L2 Shrine strongly condemns the aggression of the barbaric russian federation. 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦

Brand new player to L2

Hey everyone! This server was recommended to me since the official servers are apparently filled with massive P2W. I sadly have 0 experience with L2 and was wondering if I could get some tips! Such as:

- good beginner class

- best way to advance in level/money

- any other tips you would offer a noob!

Thanks guys!

Welcome on board, I think you should create some easier character for start (dwarven fighter is never a bad choice) and find some clan that will invite you to academy and help you with basics :) Later you can create another character that will suit you most :) Just make sure you have only one character per game account (we don’t move them between accounts and you can log in only one character from account at the time - just create new game account for every new character)

This guide should get you over the first 25 or so levels: http://legacy.lineage2.com/guide/newbie_quest_guide.html

(edit: but ask for academy in Giran before you get too far, clans that recruit give reward if you join before lvl 16)

Dwarven fighter is a pretty bad choice. If you want to play a warrior, pick anything but dwarf; and you'll need some buffers (friends / or log your own). Mage classes are self-sufficient in that they can play solo with nothing but a chicken start to finish (not saying it's efficient, but it is possible).

Edited by mirage

Yes, L2 is completely retarded game design. Character on selfbuff = absolutely useless. You can run as many characters as you want (most people run main + some buffer, but there are also people running whole party of 9 themselves). If you really know nothing about this game, and are looking for a nice multiplayer fantasy-themed game, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. L2 is a terrible game (I'm not kidding, it's not only dated, it's awfully designed even by the standard of its time). Had ESO not stopped working in Wine I'd never return to this NCsoft crap; and I only came back because some old friends are still playing this.

2 hours ago, mirage said:

Heh :D The game is so fu*king bad we all love it... I must admit I'm bit tempted to start playing somewhere (not here because everyone would go frenzy you know "Hey she's supporting that clan")

Yes, it's really bad. It's worse than all drugs I've tried in my life. LSD and MDMA is nothing compared to this game (because L2 is really addictive; the easiest way of getting rid of it is making your own server). Maybe quality wine can compete with it. Really. :D DON'T PLAY IT :D

On the other way, it's much much better than LOTRO, STO and lot of other modern MMORPGs because many of them are carebear games.

It's a great old competitive game. Just treat it that way. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Emca said:

Heh :D The game is so fu*king bad we all love it... I must admit I'm bit tempted to start playing somewhere (not here because everyone would go frenzy you know "Hey she's supporting that clan")

Yes, it's really bad. It's worse than all drugs I've tried in my life. LSD and MDMA is nothing compared to this game (because L2 is really addictive; the easiest way of getting rid of it is making your own server). Maybe quality wine can compete with it. Really. :D DON'T PLAY IT :D

On the other way, it's much much better than LOTRO, STO and lot of other modern MMORPGs because many of them are carebear games.

start here,join MT and ill come back.gearing problem solved!

3 hours ago, mirage said:

Yes, L2 is completely retarded game design. Character on selfbuff = absolutely useless. You can run as many characters as you want (most people run main + some buffer, but there are also people running whole party of 9 themselves). If you really know nothing about this game, and are looking for a nice multiplayer fantasy-themed game, I'd advise you to look elsewhere. L2 is a terrible game (I'm not kidding, it's not only dated, it's awfully designed even by the standard of its time). Had ESO not stopped working in Wine I'd never return to this NCsoft crap; and I only came back because some old friends are still playing this.

Zenimax crap is working again. And it is as annoying as...never before.

11 hours ago, mirage said:

Yes, but this is not problem of the game, but of players that playing on server. I have played this game since c3 and on some servers was dualbox prohibited and ppl playing together... Find party wasn't never hard. Or buffer class has siting on some place and selling buffs (I remember on LoA entrance and inside on Kariks). Here when i came, I have screamed that buffer LFP and nobody answer. So i must start another char to lvl up my buffer. This game is not designed for solo playing. I am just wondering why ppl playing MMORPG when they want soloing...

But back to topic. I think all class are good for start, but you need to find good, friendly clan with ppl that want help another. Each class has own pros/cons.

And my recommendation is to start with elf/dark elf warrior and on second class transfer make Sword singer/Blade dancer. They can pretty goo soloing on newbie buffs and own songs/dance.

Edited by Zero
14 hours ago, Emca said:

Come play with me, I'm not in a clan. You can favor me all you want, I won't tell anyone!

Yes with no oop(out of party) buffer it will be slow to exp/farm.But active supports are welcome in most clans.Imo best class to truly solo(self buffs only and past 76 lvl) even with no gear are the summoners.As others said find a clan that could help you with levels/items  cause no matter what class you choose you will need their help as a newcomer.

The reason caster are good to start with, is because the buffs provided by the in-game helper increases their damage AND cast speed. It helps a lot. The fighters don't get a damage increase.

aVx's suggestion is good too, it's actually quite a unique class, but you'll be using your wolf a lot. If you're into using a pet, go for it.

Archers are another option, but they're not that great without extra buffs. They're also expensive.

Buffs are immensely good in this game, but that doesn't mean you can't play without them. You're new, just make whichever class you think sounds fun, and go play. You can figure out the rest along the way.

Shillien Elder ! It was considered in the past as the most useless classes , but it this chronicle it is nice , and it has some variety. It is below average on nearly everything , but u have so many things to do.
1: You can play as an active elder/recharger of mana pool in all kind of parties , mages/melees/rangers/ , also melee parties needs u most because u have Stigma, a skill without cooldown which decreases the melee p.def of mobs by 40%. for this u need a kookabura as a pet because it gives u buffs , heals u , but mostly recharges your MP.

2: You can play as a mage yourself with your transformation , you will be a weaker kind of mage that still can xp in areas with herbs(recovery of hp+mp that drop from mobs in most of the areas). for this u need also a kookabura to have longer mp pools

3: Raid partys love you , specially melees because of stigma , and generally elders are always needed.

4: You are apart from recharger  , a good buffer also , you have every thing somebody needs , mage or fighter , and for the things you dont have there are potions in the game cheap enough to make up for them. u have all the things a fighter needs except attack speed buff , but one can buy these , u have all the things a mage needs except casting speed which again he can buy easily. so with these buffs u can xp as a melee also (not u personally , but your wolf!). u can train a wolf , and after 55 that he trasforms to big wolf , with some gear he can kill mobs for u.u just have to buff him , command to attack , Stigma the mobs he is hitting and heal him from time to time. maybe with some gear you can contribute in melee dmg too , but u dont hit that hard even with buffs , just to feel side by side with your wolf :P

5: until gracia final update nobody played this class  so it had hipster benefits ! but in epilogue people might have rerolled for SE(shillien elder) cause he is as powerful as an Elven elder because he can "copy"  some buffs + skills he was missing in previous updates

the problem with this class is that it needs a lot of preparation and some gear to do things on it's own.... he can only be a recharger easily without gear , but it is hard to xp after lvl 50-60 alone as a recharger... you need to find clan , and maybe some help.

xD make SE main with EE box.

k. but tbh its not going to work. I dont mean SE + EE, this is best combo ever, but i mean new player in L2. There are no such things, and tips to "find a clan" wont solve anything.
All of us played this game be4 or play actively since like 10 years. Be honest, if u were never played l2 before will u start it now? Ofc not. It's a most anoying, grind and flustrating game ever. Well maybe 2nd place cuz Tibia will stay 1st place 4ever. Ruled by RNG game which never ends, cuz there will be always smth u can do to improve.
Futhermore almost all of us was babysited by friends who were playing this game and invited us. Guide and babysiting us whole time. Clan is not friends. Also l2 was much different game. Itsdead game now. Whichever serwer u go it had 1k active ppl online. With tons of new players. W/o dualboxes, only clan/pt playing and every1 was welcome.

So pls, dont give him advices u would use or smth, this game cant offer anything for new players, and better if he start looking for another game.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Llegien20 said:

I was really looking to make a Swordsinger...is that a poor choice for noob? It terms of complexity and ease of grind?

Swordsinger isnt bad (with wolf) for solo, but it will be slow. Bladedancer is little bit faster (simply SWS has songs for defense, BD has dances for attack).

Or you can go warcryer as aWx suggested. Warcryer has almost all buff for wolf (fighter) and can make dmg himself.

On 27/11/2017 at 9:12 AM, Eldax said:

xD make SE main with EE box.

k. but tbh its not going to work. I dont mean SE + EE, this is best combo ever, but i mean new player in L2. There are no such things, and tips to "find a clan" wont solve anything.
All of us played this game be4 or play actively since like 10 years. Be honest, if u were never played l2 before will u start it now? Ofc not. It's a most anoying, grind and flustrating game ever. Well maybe 2nd place cuz Tibia will stay 1st place 4ever. Ruled by RNG game which never ends, cuz there will be always smth u can do to improve.
Futhermore almost all of us was babysited by friends who were playing this game and invited us. Guide and babysiting us whole time. Clan is not friends. Also l2 was much different game. Itsdead game now. Whichever serwer u go it had 1k active ppl online. With tons of new players. W/o dualboxes, only clan/pt playing and every1 was welcome.

So pls, dont give him advices u would use or smth, this game cant offer anything for new players, and better if he start looking for another game.

i disagree . yes game is dead , or maybe has a different form from when it started. yes usually someone was babysitted by a friend to learn the game because it hard 10 years ago , but now u have teamspeak/discord etc.... if you find the right casual helpful guys , u can learn slowly everything , enjoy the game to maximum for some months , until u find out later about bots-9people's box-rng factor , people being greedy not inviting buffers because they have theirs , etc....but i m sure he will enjoy the game for some months in the right clan.

fun newbie story: i had a friend that started the game 2 years ago and i didnt have the time to guide him extended throught basics for 2-3 days as he was playing . he hit 45-50 and came to me with a tone in his voice , SO SAD , saying , "i cant xp :( i dont know whats wrong"  , i was asking questions about gear , areas , npc buffs etc ... everything was fine. and i couldnt understand how could he be so noob and die all the time , so i told him "let me log your char to check" , and he had death penalty lvl 8 or something :D. he had like 1/3 of the stats he should have.... poor guy :D