L2 Shrine strongly condemns the aggression of the barbaric russian federation. 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦

GM Motivation / No Donation

I was just thinking about all the servers that I have played on in the past and this server is really unique. Most servers have some form of donations / premium service so the motivation for the GM's is they make some money with there skills. So there is motivation.

So that got me thinking what @Emca & @Jorn  your motivation to provide us players a server for free to play on with no strings attached? :) It would be interesting as you have mentioned in another post that you had a created a server in the past (4 years ago) and that is still running. 

Why would you create a server for us to play for free? :)  (P.S: I'm not complaining just curious :P)

there are plenty of reasons someone would do that.... 1st would be the 'hobby thing' , 2nd would be that they wont expect to make money by a small server(compared to others) , 3rd they might want to make a 'name' for themselves for future projectts , they may want to test their developer abilities....... they may have true love for the game (there are many players who seek something like this exacly , who like the old days but dont have the knowledge bugdet to do it..). u can imagine plenty of reason , dont ask them a question like that , it is kinda indiscreet

Hi, it's almost as @heroBD said

9 hours ago, heroBD said:

there are plenty of reasons someone would do that.... 1st would be the 'hobby thing' , 2nd would be that they wont expect to make money by a small server(compared to others) , 3rd they might want to make a 'name' for themselves for future projectts , they may want to test their developer abilities....... they may have true love for the game (there are many players who seek something like this exacly , who like the old days but dont have the knowledge bugdet to do it..). u can imagine plenty of reason , dont ask them a question like that , it is kinda indiscreet

1. hobby - yes, you need to do something and this is something so we do it* :)))

2. wont expect money - it's more of "don't want to have troubles with money". There are two problems associated with taking money from players: laws (paying taxes, legal form for our project, ...) and obligation to players (if you take some money from them, it's much different, they'll feel you owe them something). Also, getting some $ 1000 / month from players would not make big difference for us :)

3. name - yes, maybe it's bit of this too

4. developer abilities - we're making opensource extender and we really need to test it in the wild :) but it's minor reason. It's more about "we think we can do it" and if you think something like that, you sometimes have to prove it :)

5. true love for the game - I think this is the most important aspect. I remember the old days when all admins had their own extender, word donation had it's original meaning (ie gift, not eshop) and there were really great servers. Now it's like "buy extender from russians, rent server somewhere, put lot of money to advertisment and make big donate system" - is there some difference between current servers except of different rate and chronicle?

* logic borrowed from sir Humphrey Appleby

I think it is because they and their friends from L2 community really loves Lineage 2 in that way L2 used to be. In these days L2 servers are on just few months (as long as there are people and pay them) and players with money have multibox and other benefits (so that is not fair play). So they created server for old school players who loves crafting, making adena, PvP, completing nice sets and meeting their friends in game, without fear that the server will end soon and all their achievements will be deleted and they will have to start from scratch elsewhere...

For me - it's because i love lineage 2, i played it a lot in my childhood and it's the main reason i said 'yes' when asked to help with this project. And i like developing web applications (i am Java developer and in my current work i am not working with frontend technologies like html, css, javascript that much), so at least i am trying to improve and learn something new when doing this project :).

And just a side note:

It's unfortunate that many people think, that if there is no donate, then the server must be sh*t. I think we have great software (extender), we have great hardware, but we just don't want money - we're doing it because we love Lineage 2.

Wow thanks for being honest guys :) This just adds to server and your credibility :) If you keep a stable server people will come especially since the others will close and you are still open :P 

In my opinion there is two reason servers become crap:

• Donating for items (well we don't have that here :P )
  • Bugs are not fixed in time (as far as I can see you guys have been fixing the bugs quickly and keeping the players up to date)

So in saying that the future looks good for this server :)